Saturday, December 12, 2015

Tightrope

When I told a couple of friends I was starting a song-a-day-style blog, they both independently came to the conclusion that I would be posting original tunes. Which is a fabulous idea and maybe a bit ambitious for me right now. However.

"Tightrope" happened over the summer, on a rainy day when I was feeling pretty destroyed and sat in my bed in the dark for most of the afternoon, playing guitar. This song basically just bled out of me, and I recorded it on my crappy Android phone. It's pretty rough--cracking voice and wrong notes and all--but it evokes the shit out of my mood that day.


Today I was feeling so many things at once, I thought my body might explode, so I sat down and played through this one a few times (as well as Sia's "Chandelier," which might have to be its own post at some point). And then I went on a glorious bike ride with no coat on in mid-December because climate change.

I’m walking on a rope
It disappears in black
I can’t see the other side
And there’s no going back

A spotlight shines on my face
1,000 people stare
I thought I saw your arm outstretched
But it must’ve been the glare

There’s no way down but to fall
No net, nobody at all
There’s no way down but to fall
No net, nobody at all

No comments:

Post a Comment