Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Love on the Brain

Today on...

Top 40 Nonsense That Makes Me Weeeeeep

...I feel a little conflicted. It's hard to call this song--as with some of Rihanna's other work that I really love--nonsense. The song itself is a really nicely done 60s soul pastiche but with contemporary-sounding lyrics that make it feel fresh and immediate, bringing to mind Amy Winehouse in all her glory. Rihanna's performance of this song not only shows off her flawless vocals and expressive range but feels steeped in emotion, like maybe it's personal. Especially when she drops those F bombs, of which there are three. Impressive for a radio single.

Add to my affection for the song the fact that it's right in my vocal range, so whenever it comes on the radio I can belt it out note for note along with Rihanna, like we're on Carpool Karaoke. In my fantasy, we trade off on lead and backup vocals until I'm weeping too hard to continue, and she finishes the phrase for me: "What do I gotta do to get in your motherf***in' heart?" Then I pull over because I don't want to risk cryving off the road, and we hug and wipe mascara off our faces and giggle.

Don't ask me to explain this music video, it's way too deep for me.


Bonus: the moody white boy Rihanna cover the world neither needs nor deserves.


No comments:

Post a Comment